I’m Rebuilding My Vespa P200E All By Myself… Part 7
Whoa. There are a lot of gears and stuff in here.
This was been an exciting stretch. I cracked the cases on the Vespa, meaning that I pulled the two halves of the motor apart to expose the gears, the crankshaft, the shifting mechanism, and a lot of little fiddly bits. All of that got pulled apart and spread out.
Now it was time to get Vespa Motorsport involved. I didn’t have the tools or knowhow for a few things, like checking the crankshaft runout, seating the main bearing, sizing the gear shim, or rebuilding the cush gear (which is this bizarre assembly that’s made up of two gears, four springs, and a couple of plates that are riveted together to look like one gear: complicated, and a mistake here means a really broken scooter).
Steve from Motorsport helped me evaluate my gears and showed me how to check for wear, and a few things that I initially though looked good would have to be replaced. He showed me how to reassemble the gears and had me do it a couple of times to to help his lesson sink in, and he gave me a couple of tips for my clutch rebuild. My motor got whisked off into the shop for a couple of days to have the pros put together the high-stakes parts.
While the shop work was going on, I rebuilt my clutch. It was a super-fast and easy process, and I’m glad that Steve gave me some pointers. The video also showed me how to bench-test the finished product, which was really helpful…
because it gave me the opportunity to rebuild it again the right way… One of the springs popped out of the little cup on the clutch basket, which meant my initial rebuild was a bit flawed. The second go-around took ten minutes and bench-tested perfectly.
Robot’s first attempt at the gear stuff was a non-starter. Some of the only available aftermarket parts aren’t the best quality, so the first attempt at the cush gear rebuild didn’t take. Frustrating for everyone, and the motor went back to the shop for another few days. I was starting to get worried that my Vespa wouldn’t be ready in time for the Lake Tahoe TT race.
List of stuff purchased so far:
- Parts, gaskets, seals, etc.
- Barrel and piston
- Aftermarket exhaust (oooooh yeaaaah) <— this will be my only modification. I’m light; I don’t need more displacement. Even when she was limping I could keep up on the freeway.
- Cleaning tools
- Snap-ring pliers (Those snap-rings suck, ps. If I ever meet Mr. Circlip, he’s a dead man.)
- Torque wrench
- Assorted sockets to add to standard set
- Spark-plug wrench
- Spray paint, making tape, mineral spirits
So far I’ve spent twice as much on this rebuild as I originally paid for the scooter.